You guys, I hate scary movies and I haven't done a lot of adventurous things, like hike up a volcano or jump out of a train or whatever kids these days like to do. However, when it comes to food, I'm all about adventure and I'll even try the scary things. I am so jealous of the guys on the Travel Channel. I would have a blast hanging out with Anthony Bourdain, Andrew Zimmern and Adam Richman as they travel around eating ridiculous things like bugs and eyeballs and the hottest peppers known to man.
When Andrew Zimmern (who I believe at one point has eaten a beating frog heart) buckled and was unable to swallow a piece of durian fruit (which he said tasted like "mushy, rotten onions"), I went out and found one so I could try it (and I liked it). I've eaten an embarrassingly giant steak and gotten a photo on a wall for it. I've had numerous hot pepper challenges with my friends. On trip to the Philippines, my wife's family was so amused by my adventurous appetite, they had me try things like chicken feet (called adidas) and duck embryos (balut). These are foods even they don't eat, but I actually like them! I'm not going to lie, since then I've found Asian grocery stores here in Dallas where I can get my bizarre food fixes.
Today, however, I think I found where I draw the line and it's not even something that I've actually tried. Apparently in the city of Dongyang (haha!), China, it is a delicacy to eat something called Virgin Boy Eggs. Now, don't jump to conclusions; it might not be what you think...unless you're thinking of boiled eggs that have been soaked in the urine of boys under the age of 10. If that's what you thought, then you're absolutely right. They supposedly have great energy properties and improve the body's circulation. Also, they are said to prevent heat stroke.
Honestly, maybe 1% of me is telling myself "The eggs are soaked BEFORE they're boiled so it's not eating urine directly...and it does get hot in Texas so I am prone to heat stroke..." The other 99% of me is saying "There is no non-creepy or sanitary way to make this recipe. Leave it to the professionals...or at least wait until you have your own TV show."
Read more about Virgin Boy Eggs here (you know you want to):