Homemade Graham Cracker
Prep Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
Yield: 20 crackers
• 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 cup whole wheat flour
• 1/2 cup wheat germ
• 1/2 tsp kosher salt
• 1 tsp baking soda
• 1 tsp ground cinnamon
• 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
• 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
• 2 Tbsp honey
1. In a medium bowl, mix flours, wheat germ, salt, baking soda and cinnamon. Set aside.
2. In a mixing bowl, beat butter, brown sugar and honey until pale and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Add flour mixture and mix until combined.
3. Turn out dough onto a pastry mat or counter top that has been sprinkled with flour. Divide dough into fourths. Roll out each piece between two sheets of parchment paper, into rectangles. Make sure dough is about 1/8inch thick (otherwise it bakes to more of a cookie than a cracker).
4. Cut dough into graham cracker sized rectangles. Repeating until all dough has been used. Stack parchment paper and dough on a baking sheet and chill in freezer until firm, about 20 minutes.
5. Remove from freezer and bake crackers on one sheet of parchment paper in a 350 degree F oven. Bake for about 12 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on pan for an additional 10 minutes.
6. Cool completely on wire rack.
Photo Credit: Rae McFarland